Hello Windows Insiders, Microsoft has released Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19628 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.
For some Windows Insiders the name of the branch from which they are getting the builds has changed to MN_RELEASE starting with this build. As Microsoft has mentioned back in December, the Fast ring receives builds directly from the active development branch. Here, Microsoft team is practicing their ability to change which branch they consider as the active development branch.
This is just a short-term change and insiders will again get the builds from RS_PRERELEASE branch soon. The builds from the MN_RELEASE branch are not matched to a specific Windows 10 release.
You can check out Windows Insider Program documentation here, which also includes the list of all the new features and updates released in builds so far. If you are not able to see any of the new features in this build, you need to check your Windows Insider Settings and make sure you’re on the Fast ring.
Changes and improvements in Build 19628
- Added initial support for DNS over HTTPS, so that you can opt into using encryption when Windows makes DNS queries. Follow the instructions in this blog post to opt in as it will be off by default.
- Based on the feedback shared by insiders about the updated version of Korea Microsoft IME introduced with Build 18941. For the moment, the IME version will be returning to the previous one.
What is fixed in Build 19628?
- Fixed an issue causing some devices fail to update with error code 0xc0000409. If you continue to experience this error, share your feedback by filing new feedback in Feedback Hub.
Known issues with Build 19628
- Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected. NVAccess has released a NVDA 2019.3 that resolves the known issue with Edge.
- The update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- A future Insider Preview build where in Settings > Privacy the Documents and Downloads sections show a broken icon next to their page name (just a rectangle).
- IIS configuration being set to default after taking a new build. You will need to back up your IIS configuration and restore it after the new build is installed successfully.
- The taskbar preview thumbnails aren’t rendering consistently (showing a blank area).