Manage Location Data Access for iPhone and iPad Widgets in iOS 14 / iPadOS 14
Unlike before, iOS allows you to adjust location permissions for an individual widget. For instance, you can allow an app like Map to access your location but you can choose to disallow its widget to use your location data. Do note that widgets may use your location for up to 15 minutes after being viewed.
Now that you know how this privacy feature works, let’s dive right in to learn how to control location data access for widgets in iOS 14!
- Launch Settings app iPhone or iPad running iOS 14/iPadOS 14.
2. Now, scroll down and select Privacy.
3. Next, choose Location Services.
4. Next up, select the app which offers a widget.
5. Under the Allow Location Access section, you have multiple options to choose from.
- Never: Select it to prevent both the app and its widget from having access to your location.
- Ask Next Time: Force the app/widget to task for your permission the next time it wants to access your location.
- While Using the app or widgets: Let the app/widget access your location while you are using it.
- While using the app: Allow only the app, and not its widget, to access your location.
- Always: Let the app/widget access your location for 15 minutes after being viewed.
Manage Location Data Access for Widgets with Ease
There you go! So, that’s the way you can take control of the location data access for widgets in iOS 14. If you don’t want an app or widget to use your location endlessly or more than what you need, you should take advantage of this feature.
As we are talking about privacy, I would recommend you to check out these equally interesting posts like how to stop an app to access your precise location and delete Siri dictation and history.